[lbo-talk] Death of Dean

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 14 09:24:32 PST 2004

Apparently you have the belief, common among many members of the educated classes, that most people are semi-sentient beings, clay in the hands of their clever masters and manipulators. I don't share this view. I think that in the main, on issues where people have first hand information and where it counts, they make rational decisions by and large. Actually, I don't know of really solid evidence that advertising does work (all that well) -- especially when you don't have a decent product. Consider the US auto industry, for example . . . .

I think you overlook the key difference between whatever stories Fox or whomever told about bin Ladin and about Dean. Bin Laden people don't know from nothin. Dean people have got to see up close and fairly personal in their living rooms and such -- I mean at the caucuses and in the primaries. ANd they didn't like him. He had huge negatives, more so than other candidates

I suppose you will say that is because the press atacked him because they were afraid that his insurgent campaign might threaten the balance of power, and if the press had been neutral or friendly, he'd still be front runner. I am not sure how to resolve this controversy given the tools we have and the time we have to put into it. So I will just note our fundamental disagreement, as to how susceptible ordinary people are to brainwashing by the media in matters where they have other information.

jks