[lbo-talk] Iraqi communists on "resistance"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Feb 14 09:30:42 PST 2004

John Lacny wrote:

>Chiefly because Doug has asked people to refrain
>from desist from discussing the elections, I will not say much on this, save
>that it's further indication that these people are too far out of touch with
>the problems of their OWN people in THIS country -- something which is a
>prerequisite for effective international solidarity, of the kind that takes
>people as they are and does not romanticize struggle either here or anywhere
>else.

Clarification: I thought the thread on the elections had devolved into repeated assertions of opposing positions, with little mutual engagement or intellectual progress. I realize that it's impossible to stop discussion of the election, nor is it desirable (though it may bore non-U.S. subscribers). But I'm hoping we can get beyond the "John Kerry is a mass-murdering Republican!" "No, he's not, but Bush is a threat to life on planet earth" taunting.

Doug