[lbo-talk] Advertisings effects (was Death of Dean)

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Sat Feb 14 12:56:53 PST 2004

I'm not certain why having an advertising campaign that creates great demand for a product where little or no demand existed before makes everyone a pliable semi-sentient being. Perhaps you could explain why this is so? So our choices are everyone's a dolt and advertisers manipulate them or else advertising is ineffective and multi-billion dollar firms are just too stupid to know it. You're wrong in your assumption that I'm an upper middle class educated person who think the sheeple are just waiting for the next command from their betters. I tend toward a strong utilitarian approach toward things and believe people apply rather sophisticated thinking towards major decisions. Advertisers however attempt to manipulate with misleading information and with emotion laden images to distort peoples rational decisions making processes. As far as SUV's are concerned you believe that manufacturers identified the SUV as a great potential money maker that because of the way regulations existed at the time SUV's allowed specific tax incentives and emissions avoidance. Simultaneously people just suddenly wanted SUV's so the manufacturers started making them because consumers demanded them. That was really lucky for them.

John Thornton