[lbo-talk] Advertisings effects (was Death of Dean)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 14 15:06:13 PST 2004

>But I once again note that the assumption that most
>people are pliable fools who do not know their wants
>or interests is a very common one among the educated
>upper middle classes. It accounts for a lot of the
>appeal of both Fabian-style social democracy and
>old-style Bolshevism. jks

Neither Fabian nor old-style Bolshevik am I, but the thing speaks for itself: Most people are pliable fools who are oblivious to their interests and highly suggestible regarding their wants. Certainly that is true in the US. There was a thread here recently discussing that perennial favorite, why has there never been a genuine political left in the US. Why indeed! This question has bewildered me my whole adult life. Why *is* class consciousness is so blunted in the US? Why, at all times and in all places, have masses of Americans been perfectly content to be mulcted by elites, and why have they been so hostile to any suggestion of alternatives to capitalism? I've heard many answers to those questions and have found none really convincing.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Optimize your Internet experience to the max with the new MSN Premium Internet Software. http://click.atdmt.com/AVE/go/onm00200359ave/direct/01/