[lbo-talk] Advertisings effects (was Death of Dean)

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Sun Feb 15 11:04:01 PST 2004

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004, Michael Dawson wrote:

> Carrol Cox:
> >2) that merely saying the truth
> > effectively is in itself of any good.
>
> If you don't believe this, why bother with leftism? Of course, it's hard to
> avoid the feeling that, if you'd been a writer instead of an "activist,"
> you'd be endlessly lecturing us on the superior virtues of truth-telling.

Um--C. was a university professor. If he were simply trying to justify his life activities, he would in fact lecture us about the virtues of truth-telling. (It's interesting to me that the "academics" on the list seem to be most skeptical of Chomsky's "we just need to get the facts out there" position. Perhaps it's because we have so much experience with "getting the facts out there" and seeing how easy it is for students to ignore or misinterpret any information that challenges their preexisting assumptions.)

Miles