[lbo-talk] LBO-Talk = Outliers

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 16 04:42:30 PST 2004

> (A) Among the subscribers of LBO-talk who posted on the
> subject of resistance fighters in Iraq, those who must have
> prompted Dwayne Monroe to conclude that "Others (most,
> it seems) have decided that all violent resisters are Ba'athist
> or Jihadist criminals; I believe Rumsfeld used the term 'dead
> enders'; many on the left apparently agree" are Seth
> Ackerman, Doug Henwood, John Lacny

<snip>

Um, no. If Yoshie had read Dwayne's entire post, she would know that his point was to get past both of Yoshie's options, "(A) and (B)," and that he placed me in the middle category. I happen to agree with him. My position is that, gee whiz, things are complicated in Iraq, and that adults should recognize this. Some of the people carrying out armed attacks are reactionaries, others may not be -- I JUST DON'T KNOW, and no one on lbo-talk who is not in Iraq can credibly claim otherwise at this point. But above all, progressives in the US need to find ways to support progressives who are organizing in Iraq -- and rightly or wrongly, those Iraqi progressives have decided that armed struggle is more or less off the table (except in specific situations, probably).

But by all means, I invite Yoshie to continue setting up and knocking down her straw men, though maybe she could cut to the chase and start quoting The Transitional Program of the Fourth International at interminable length?

- - - - - John Lacny

People of the US, unite and defeat the Bush regime and all its running dogs!