[lbo-talk] LBO-Talk = Outliers (What Do The Iraqi Resistance Debates And The Mars Rovers Debates Have In Common?)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Feb 16 07:54:07 PST 2004

Seth Ackerman wrote:

>From: "Yoshie Furuhashi" <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu>
>
>> (A) Among the subscribers of LBO-talk who posted on the subject of
>> resistance fighters in Iraq, those who must have prompted Dwayne
>> Monroe to conclude that "Others (most, it seems) have decided that
>> all violent resisters are Ba'athist or Jihadist criminals; I believe
>> Rumsfeld used the term 'dead enders'; many on the left apparently
>> agree" are Seth Ackerman, Doug Henwood, John Lacny, Mike Larkin,
>> Grant Lee, and Luke Weiger.
>
>I never said that. Nor do I believe it.

Apprently, in the Yoshie worldview, you can't believe in complexity or ambivalence. You can't just vote for a Democrat with lots of criticisms and reservations - you're a Yellow Dog Democrat. You can't be skeptical about the Iraqi resistance or you're with Rumsfeld. Etc. Very much like Bush's "you're either with us or with the terrorists" with a negative sign in front of it.

Doug