[lbo-talk] Re: Volume Control

mike larkin mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 16 18:46:35 PST 2004

from a fellow named "snuggles" off an sf indymedia discussion of Doug, Christian, Liza's activism article, but very applicable to this list (including mea culpa):

http://www.indybay.org/news/2004/02/1669669_comment.php#1670516

"As others have noted, anti-intellectualism is nothing new and neither is the unpopularity of politcal engagement. It's my opinion that the tendency of sharp witted people to deride and attack over differences that, to the less well informed, seem hopelessly arcane is a major factor.

I follow boards and lists, mostly lurking, and I'm amazed at how uncivil and cruel people can be. The tough love wears thin after a few reads. People I've met in tough bars are easier to get along with.

Also, politics and academics attract some really creepy people. The strong tendency amongst the celebrities to be dismissive of - even antagonistic towards - newbs can be tremendously damaging to any humane agenda. The right wing leaders knows this. They'll take anyone, warts and all, and never let them know how much contempt they have. They bond, if you will, and have a support network that guarantees emotional security.

Maybe the radical left is incapable of of this and maybe that's positive in some way. Who needs mindless, uncritical groupthink? Well, a lot of people do. Most of us aren't wired to bicker and pick. People stick with failing relationships and groups long past the point of diminishing returns. The majority of people aren't very competitive, don't like feeling dragooned by those more clever and get turned off when they see it. It's perfectly natural for people to reject the whole because a small part of it is ugly. Hyperintellectualism is also boring.

So, as long the intellectual left goes on making people feel small, they'll get nowhere. Make humane politics exciting, sexy and pleasurable and half the fight is over. I suggest leaving off dissection of character flaws to the right wing. Navel gazing, humorless deconstructions never get you laid."