[lbo-talk] Re: Heiddeger, Blackburn

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Tue Feb 17 01:12:58 PST 2004

My mother, a writer and an intellectual of no particular political stripe, counts two great loves in her life. The first was a young Romanian brown-shirt (fascist) who was shot after the war. The second was a jew, my father, with whom she lived for fifity-five years, till his death three years ago.

Labels don't necessarily tell us everything. So far as Arendt and Heidegger are concerned, they obviously don't tell us enough to explain the life-long attraction. I am underimpressed by Heidegger; the stuff I tried to read sounded to me like eastern insights...reached in a very circuitous way....but I'll defer to his admirers on the list -- justin (?) and chris. Arendt I read in my twenties and all I remember was the "banality of evil" stuff, which seemed pretty good at the time. Celine is supposed to be a fascist, but I really liked "Journey to the End of the Night"...though I haven't finished it yet.

So, I don't know. Art...politics....philosophy; they don't necessarily sync up the way we'd like them to.

Joanna