[lbo-talk] Re: why won't they listen to us dept.?

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Tue Feb 17 08:27:05 PST 2004

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Frank Scott wrote:

> -"...  Perhaps
> it's because we have so much experience with
> "getting the
> facts out there" and seeing how easy it is for
> students to
> ignore or misinterpret any information that
> challenges their
> preexisting assumptions"
>
> only students? how does that differ from any
> human being's "preexisting assumptions"? is it
> only poor, overworked , suffering academics
> who have to deal wit this tendency among most
> of the human race?

Why did you add the word "only" to my post? Read it again; you're ranting about something that isn't in the passage you quoted.

> and when all-knowing faculty present these
> "facts", why shouldn't even semi-thinking
> students disregard them, given that , so often,
> eltitist types who teach , and condescend to
> their students deserve to be given short shrift?

Yep, every teacher in our society is an elitist windbag with tenure at Berkeley. Nobody teaches at community colleges and high schools, and every one of them is condescending and inept.

Straw man much?

Miles