[lbo-talk] Re: Heidegger, Blackburn

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Tue Feb 17 10:44:05 PST 2004

The heart is a mysterious place, and I would not judge anyone for her commitments. For all that, it would give me pause, as a Jew and a leftistis, to know that my adored, hwoever brilliant, was a "mild anti-semite." As a Jew and a leftist, my erstwhile beloved's joining the Nazi Party would be beyond what I could handle. jks

---------

Maybe, but think about this again, for a moment. The Heart is a mysterious place...

And yet it isn't the heart, that requires explanation or that becomes the ultimate mystery in this context. It's the Head, the intellect that can't be explained.

In an odd reversal, it isn't the low motives that need the justification, but the high motives. When the little head tells you Hannah was sexy, fun, smart, articulate---all that is understandable. When the Big Head tells you to stay with Germany (and your wife) all the way down---for higher principles---that's the part that requires justification.

Contrary to what I assume Blackburn would say, the little head has more Truth value, or a higher ethical standard than the Big Head---in this particular case.

It's highly amusing to me, anyway. I am still working away on Strauss and I am watching him make one mistake after another exactly because he is following `higher principles'.

Chuck Grimes