[lbo-talk] Race & Resistance

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Feb 17 12:29:15 PST 2004

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>As for ambivalence, the word means that one's feelings and thoughts
>are torn between two opposite sides -- positive and negative, etc.
>toward which one is equally drawn. I've heard your remarks about
>the armed resistance in Iraq that count as negative, but I've yet to
>hear from you any remark that suggests a positive assessment of it.

If the "resistance" makes it less likely that the U.S. will invade other countries, then that's a good thing. But it saddens me that members of the American working class - and Iraqis as well - are getting blown up in the process. And it's likely that most of the people doing the blowing up are pretty terrible.

When we saw him shortly after he got back from Iraq, Christian Parenti said that nothing good is likely to come from the situation. Anyone who won an election would probably create a terrible government; if the resistance won, it'd probably mean something Saddamish without Saddam; and if the U.S. continues to run the show, it's hideous colonial administration. I have no reason to doubt Christian's diagnosis.

Doug