[lbo-talk] Bush expected to announce candidacy any day now

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Feb 17 14:38:02 PST 2004

John Halle wrote:

>As for your description of Farley, well maybe he hasn't been
>appropriately introduced at Upper West Side coffee klatsches.

I can't remember the last one of those I went to.

> Does this fit your description of a non-entity?
>
>http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20040216/003447.html

Impressive resume, but he's a political nonentity. I think I'm somewhere around the 99th percentile in political knowledge among the U.S. population, and I have no idea who he is beyond those several paragraphs. In the gneeral population, his name recognition is no doubt well below Dee Snider's. You can't change that in less than nine months.

>Having said that, a presidential run can serve to introduce the
>Green Party (or more generally, a politics of minimum decency and
>rationality) to constituencies which would otherwise not have known
>about it.

Nice in theory - but why did Ralph fail to do so, with much higher name recognition (higher, I'd guess, than Dee Snider's even)?

>> >and remember that Nader's best showing in 2000
>> >came in Alaska.
>>
>>Now that's a real future - in a messy, complex society, three
>>quarters of whose population lives in metro areas, the future can be
>>discerned in Alaska?
>

>Notice that you intentionally (from what I can tell) misconstrue my
>argument which was to suggest that a significant fraction of Nader's
>support (anecdotal data aside) derived from voters who were
>completely alienated from both the corporate right and (ostensibly)
>anti-corporate establishment left. Alaska is worth mentioning in
>that Nader's strong showing there is only understandable on that
>basis. The argument was (obviously) not meant to suggest that "the
>future can be discerned there." Only a fool would say such a thing.
>
>Yet again, you assume that anyone who disagrees with you has to be an idiot.

Uh, no. You're far from an idiot, and so is just about everyone else I disagree with on this list. Nothing I said implied idiocy. But Alaska is hardly typical of the U.S. population (as is Maine), and if that's where Nader is strong, then that strength probably has more to do with the demographic quirks of Alaska than anything else.

Doug