[lbo-talk] Race & Opinions

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Feb 17 16:50:36 PST 2004

>[lbo-talk] Re: LBO-Talk = Outliers (What Do The Iraqi Resistance ...)
>Todd Archer todda39 at hotmail.com
>Tue Feb 17 15:56:08 PST 2004
<snip>
>race-baiting

>[lbo-talk] The LBO resistance
>heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
>Mon Feb 16 15:16:16 PST 2004
<snip>

All I said was "(I note that there are three persons of color in [B], whereas [A] are all white -- race may be a statistically significant variable if we poll on this topic in the USA)" (at <http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20040216/003425.html>), and I've offered some empirical evidence of racial gaps in opinions (at <http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/pipermail/lbo-talk/Week-of-Mon-20040216/003501.html>). While race is not the only statistically significant variable, it is among the most significant on some important issues like war (though probably not on all questions). Electoral campaign consultants know that, too, so they poll and analyze the polling results by race and other demographic categories and use "ethnic surname dictionaries" and the like in order to "reduc[e] the universe of voters" and tailor their marketing pitches to targeted constituents (Marshall Ganz, "Voters in the Crosshairs," _The American Prospect_ 5.16, December 1, 1994, <http://www.prospect.org/print-friendly/print/V5/16/ganz-m.html>). There is no reason to imagine that folks who post their opinions here are above the impacts of social structures that create racial gaps in opinions.

>[lbo-talk] LBO-Talk = Outliers (What Do The Iraqi Resistance Debates
>And The Mars Rovers Debates Have In Common?)
>Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
>Mon Feb 16 05:37:07 PST 2004
<snip>
>BTW the most I've ever said about my race is that I'm not
>Chinese/Asian. So I don't know what you're basing this on. As it
>happens I am a white Australian.

Just by looking at my name, you can tell that it's not a white name. If you are a bit savvy about languages, you can also tell my national heritage and even gender without my telling you.

Do white cyber-denizens imagine that their race is invisible to others, even after chatting for months online, without their endeavoring to perform another racial identity? -- Yoshie

* Bring Them Home Now! <http://www.bringthemhomenow.org/> * Calendars of Events in Columbus: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/calendar.html>, <http://www.freepress.org/calendar.php>, & <http://www.cpanews.org/> * Student International Forum: <http://www.osu.edu/students/sif/> * Committee for Justice in Palestine: <http://www.osudivest.org/> * Al-Awda-Ohio: <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Al-Awda-Ohio> * Solidarity: <http://www.solidarity-us.org/>