[lbo-talk] Race & Opinions

Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
Tue Feb 17 18:06:25 PST 2004

Yoshie said:

> >[lbo-talk] LBO-Talk = Outliers (What Do The Iraqi Resistance Debates
> >And The Mars Rovers Debates Have In Common?)
> >Grant Lee grantlee at iinet.net.au
> >Mon Feb 16 05:37:07 PST 2004
> <snip>
> >BTW the most I've ever said about my race is that I'm not
> >Chinese/Asian. So I don't know what you're basing this on. As it
> >happens I am a white Australian.
>
> Just by looking at my name, you can tell that it's not a white name.
> If you are a bit savvy about languages, you can also tell my national
> heritage and even gender without my telling you.
>
> Do white cyber-denizens imagine that their race is invisible to
> others, even after chatting for months online, without their
> endeavoring to perform another racial identity?
> --
> Yoshie

I dispute that anything I've said suggests anything specific about my biological race.

Some names appear obvious in their ethnicity (as most are in gender). Some are suggestive. (DRR has mentioned California. In Hawaii, South America and north west Australia there are also indigenous and "white" people with Japanese names.) Others are not even suggestive.

We all signify a lot more than our DNA and we all represent things which don't "go" with our ethnic background. To posit a relationship between anyone's physical appearance and their opinions --- unless they themselves make that connection -- is always insulting.

regards,

Grant.