[lbo-talk] Re: Bush to Announce Candidacy Any Day

BklynMagus magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Wed Feb 18 08:11:42 PST 2004

Dear List:

John Lacny asks:

> I'm trying to get a sense of what people consider important here . . . . More explanations of the relative importance people attach to these issues would be in order. I'm all ears.

My own thoughts:

1. Gay marriage (surprise LOL). To me the Constitutional issue of equal protection and idea that some people want to amend the Constitution to discriminate is very dangerous.

2. Making sure that the Patriot Act is not renewed and Patriot 2 is never passed in the first place.

3. Universal health care and skyrocketing pharmaceutical costs.

4. NAFTA, outsourcing of jobs, the non-existent economic recovery.

5. Restoring credibility to affirmative action for minorities and women.

6. The creeping theocracy of the Bush administration and the Republican right.

These could really be in any order. I shifted them a few times, but you could say it is a 6-way tie for first.

As for Iraq: I am just confused. I have read all the posts and followed the links provided to increase my knowledge, but just see it as one big mess. Is it moral just to pull out after all the devastation we caused? Do we stay and try to rebuild? Does that make us a colonial power? And what about the differences among the Iraqi people themselves?

Invading and occupying their country was a huge moral mistake. But how do we correct it without committing another one?

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister