[lbo-talk] Bush expected to announce candidacy any day now

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Feb 18 08:32:38 PST 2004

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>
> >But I am really struggling to understand what that supposed majority on
> >this list actually mean by saying or implying when they position
> >themselves to the left of social democracy or by denouncing the
> >Democratic party as "treacherous" (of whom or what?). [clip]

For years I have vigorously defended the DP against charges of treachery, cowardness, opportunism, weakness; I have always insisted that they were a strong, principled, and courageous group ("they" the leadership down nearly to the local level) who honestly preferred losing rather than take the risk of drawing masses of people into the political process. I've gotten a bit snippy to a couple people I highly respect on ocassion in response to their use of the label "Repugs" or their references to the DP's lack of courage, intelligence, what-have-you. ("Repugs" suggests that the DP is not repugnant.)

Really, a president from the Walton's home state probably knew exactly what he was doing when he destroyed public aid and threw so many women on the mercy of Walmart. Probably helped various chicken interests to keep down wages too.

Carrol