[lbo-talk] Bush expected to announce candidacy any day now

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Feb 18 09:51:03 PST 2004

Carrol Cox wrote:

>To run local candidates one needs a local organization to run them. To
>build a local organization one needs some sort of substantive link to a
>national movement of some kind.

Which is why I think you need a national Green Party running local races. Many Greens object on principle to too much national organization, since it reeks of institutionalization and hierarchy. According to a talk I once heard by Jan Myrdal, that's how the Swedish Social Democrats got their start, back in the 1920s, though of course Sweden is a lot smaller than the U.S.

>You have to commit yourself to working outside of (and in opposition to)
>the DP all down the line, or remain a prisoner of the DP, no matter how
>"critical" that support. This is a binary, and either/or and not a
>both/and.

...and therefore destructive serious thought.

Doug