[lbo-talk] LBO-Talk = Outliers (What Do The Iraqi

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Wed Feb 18 13:49:52 PST 2004

From: "Dennis Perrin" <dperrin at comcast.net>

Actually, I'm tannish pink. I've never met a person of non-color, and I'd hate to use the term colored person. What's the diff b/w "p-o-c" and "colored"? Not much that I can see.

^^^^^ CB: To make a long story short, hopefully, "white" is the designation that Europeans gave themselves upon their conquest of large sections of the rest of the world beginning roughly in the 1500's. ( "White Man's Burden" is a phrase invented by a white man, for example) The current European supremacist patterns around the world are appropriately referred to as white supremacy. The fact that any given white person, such as you, may not have "done" many or any racist things doesn't get rid of the fact that you have skin color privileges for your tannish pink hue and that it is termed "white" because some other , old white people named themselves and you "white". I mean if you are not white,in this conventional sense. , you are playing games by not saying so. (The fact that in naming themselves and you "white" they weren't precise is very irrelevant to the current social significance of skin "color". It's a diversion from serious discussion to get into it).

Colored People ( as in NAACP) is a term pre-1960's. Then in the U.S. it was used to refer to Negroes mainly.

People of Color is sort of post70's. It includes African Americans and pretty much all other non-Europeans or non-whites.

^^^^^^

I always thought there was one race, which makes "race-baiting" (i.e. pigment posturing) even more absurd. But it does come in handy when trying to silence or shame someone else of a different hue.

DP

^^^^^^^

CB: The one human "race" is a different use of "race" than its use here. It really means "species". So, your logical inferences here from thinking there is only one race are flawed,the absurdity you imagine an illusion.

There are no (zero) biological races. There are no subspecies.

There are socio-political-historical races, mainly "white" and others. This is in the context of the historical system of white supremacy. A person of color objecting to racism is often not "racebaiting" but criticizing racism ( which "do" exist). Yea, they are usually criticizing (shaming, if the people have sense) white people in an effort to stop the racism, somehow, but usually they are unsuccessful.

Racism equals power plus prejudice...