[lbo-talk] An Open Letter to Michael Colby

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Wed Feb 18 22:49:22 PST 2004

I'm not quite sure where your animus against Michael Colby comes from, but, in regard to his comment on Kerry and taxes, you found a molehill and are piling Ossa upon Pelion.

Colby noted that "Kerry supported Bush's tax cuts," and -- in contrast to Dean -- he does. Although he voted against the "Economic Growth and Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2001" and the "Jobs and Growth Tax Relief Reconciliation Act of 2003," Kerry now, as you admit, "favors rolling back the tax cuts for people making over $200,000 a year, although he would like to keep some of [sic] the cuts for middle-income people." That probably should be "all of the cuts" -- for Kerry is as close to unequivocal as he ever is: "I don't believe that we should be raising taxes on the middle class," and "I am going to protect the middle class," where "middle class" seems to mean those earning less that $200,000p.a.

That's better than Bush, of course, but it's not a unique example of Kerry's wishing to have it both ways. (He also voted for an economic stimulus package in 2002 "that contained a hefty but temporary tax cut for businesses, currently set to expire at the end of this year" <www.factcheck.org/article.aspx?docID=138#>.)

At worst Colby is guilty of hyperbole, perhaps on the order of "planning the destruction of public education..." There's a worse example later in the article: "Of the many similarities between the patricians Bush and Kerry, there's nothing more disturbing than their membership in the super-secret and super-elite Skull & Bones club at Yale University." Although Colby quotes a mordant comment form the excellent Sam Smith on this college club, there are certainly more disturbing similarities between Kerry and Bush, notably in the common interests they serve.

Colby's attempt to point out those similarities is a corrective for what the editors of CounterPunch call the "sublime indifference to the messy realities of politics and life that is now inspiring Democrats to rally behind Kerry, under the vacant banner, Anybody But Bush." That's certainly worthwhile. --CGE