[lbo-talk] Race & Opinions

kelley at pulpculture.org kelley at pulpculture.org
Thu Feb 19 09:23:03 PST 2004

At 11:20 AM 2/19/2004, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
>
>>Absolutely. But what I find even more infuriating is a certain genre of
>>"knee-jerk-anti-racism" or for that matter "anti-sexism"
>>"anti-imperialism" and what not as practiced in the US. It is based on
>>the uncritical reversal of the racist/sexist/imperialist discourse.
>>Thus, the racist/sexist/imperialist discourse claims that all
>>non-whites/women/non-US-ers are morally inferior in one way or another
>>or at least suspect.
>
>You've got a point, but isn't it just a bit troubling that the people who
>make this kind of argument are usually white men?
>
>Doug

Did you run a chi-square test of significance?! Your sample is pretty small!

speaking of which, I wonder how many of the opinion polls showing a significant difference of opinion re: Iraq between blacks and whites would stand up to a significance test. As I recall, whenever I ran regression analyses on n=10000 surveys and tried to examine differences by race, it was difficult to get statistically significant results because the n was too small. That's because, even if 18% of the N surveyed is black, that's still only 180 people. When you try to disaggregate further by religion, income, gender, etc. the numbers get even smaller and the results less reliable. statistically speaking, o'course.

Kelley

kelley