[lbo-talk] Re: RIP, Dr. Fraud - Freud, Influential Yet Unloved

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 19 11:45:00 PST 2004

>From: "Arash" <arash at riseup.net>
>
>Praise for freud from, oddly enough, an evolutionary biologist.

And appropriately enough, odd praise indeed:

>... we seem much more inclined to castigate Freud for his omissions
>and errors than Darwin for his. I suspect that there are two reasons for
>our
>differing attitudes toward these two pioneers. One is that Freud's
>failures,
>unlike Darwin's, have had a direct impact on the lives of individual human
>beings. Most of us don't suffer as a result of Darwin's having eventually
>attributed too much scope to the process termed sympatric speciation than
>it
>actually deserves. But a powerful man's mistaken ideas about women have
>certainly caused suffering ...
>
>Freud ... was outstandingly ungenerous: he denied credit to
>others, was intolerant of rivals, hated many people, and surrounded himself
>with unquestioningly loyal admirers. . . .

In short, behold the genius: a domineering, destructive quack.

Carl

_________________________________________________________________ Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfee when you click here. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963