[lbo-talk] Race & Opinions

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Feb 19 12:39:50 PST 2004

DRM:
> Several minutes of back and forth debate later, all
> became clear. You see, she believed, really and truly
> believed, that African Americans, descendents of
> slaves, victims of kluxer terrorism and targets of Jim
> Crow, etc, etc, were incapable of having political
> views outside of the 'progressive' frame.

Once we are in the story telling mode, that reminds of a situation I was into not long ago. I was in a pub listening to two guys, one white and one black, discussing politics, police brutality in particular. The white guy was a wussy liberal (a friend of mine, actually), strong on compassion but somewhat short on argumentation, but the black guy (whom I had not known before) turned out to be staunchly pro-police and very outspoken. I was in a peculiar position, because for social and political reasons I wanted to back the white guy, but the black guy had much stronger arguments, so I ended up sort of agreeing with his position (I could not counter facts about the police work that he cited).

After that conversation I thought that if I told the story to someone else without mentioning which of these two people was black and which was white, most folks would assume that the police supporter was white.

Wojtek