[lbo-talk] Re: RIP, Dr. Fraud

Christian Gregory christian11 at mindspring.com
Thu Feb 19 14:15:21 PST 2004

>What does Freud have to do with "scientific knowlege"?

Really. I'm a little struck by people's fondness for Freud. I mean, the effort to "save" him has always seemed like one of those classic cultural studies moves where if you squint in just the right way, every Douglas Sirk melodrama can be a blueprint for a revolutionary social order. (Nothing against Douglas Sirk--I love his stuff; but if revolutionary social order is what you want, Sirk is not your man.) And every time someone points out how ridiculous he was, someone (Doug, of all people!) Freudianizes the effort: oh, you're trying to kill me, I must be very radical/threatening/a limit object etc. His importance for cultural studies is another thing altogether. But, in terms of psychiatry, I'd say good riddance for the most part.

Personal anecdotes: I've seen two Freudian and two non-Freudian therapists in my lifetime. With the former, it didn't take them 20 minutes to pass judgement on my sexual life. (Needless to say, I only saw them each once.) The latter two were non-judgmental and far more interested and capable of actually helping me. This may not be a statistically significant sample, but I wouldn't recommend a Freudian therapist to anyone (in the unlikely event of being asked).

Christian