[lbo-talk] Freud

Louis Kontos Louis.Kontos at liu.edu
Thu Feb 19 15:27:24 PST 2004

It depends what you mean by science. Using a strict (contemporary) definition we would not be able to deal intelligently with any important topics or issues related to human psychology. The DSM, for instance, has removed 'neurosis' as a category through which people's problems can be understood -- so you can no longer be neurotic. In its place we have a whole bunch (a thousand pages) of new categories that do not revolve around anecdotes or require much interpretation of any kind, and, in the process, make it possible to treat people like machines. Do you really believe that there is no such thing as 'unconscious' life? I mean, apart from the meaning Freud gave it, it isn't exactly a new idea. Louis

----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Seay" <entheogens at yahoo.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2004 2:56 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Freud