[lbo-talk] Re: RIP, Dr. Fraud

Brian Charles Dauth magcomm at ix.netcom.com
Thu Feb 19 19:30:42 PST 2004

Dear List:

Carl wrote:

> AFAIC, the time individuals spend navel-gazing and twiddling with their
own psyches is time lost for contemplating the evils of a society that twists people's minds and brings out their most neurotic inclinations.

Why can't a person look both inside and outside? Their is the self and society. Why focus on only part of what makes up a person?

Should I also stop reading poetry and listening to jazz since I am losing time contemplating the evils of society?

> I'm also on record here as saying that I don't think much of anti-anxiety
and anti-depressive drugs either -- all of which dull people's awareness that, hey, it's the *system* that's at fault.

In my personal experience, drug therapy has allowed me to be more focused and less dull. Should a diabetic not take insulin? If there is a chemical imbalance, why not correct it?

> IMO, psychiatry is fundamentally bourgeoisie self-indulgence.

Why is the taking care of the self "bourgeoisie self-indulgence"? Isn't taking care of the self that preferrable for self-abuse and neglect? Isn't a well-functioning self better equipped to do battle with society's evils?

Brian Dauth Queer Buddhist Resister