[lbo-talk] Why do left-liberals dominate the academe?

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Thu Feb 19 19:56:40 PST 2004

----- Original Message ----- From: "andie nachgeborenen" <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com>

> And not just not in econ depts. The engineering depts,
> many of the "hard" sciences, the b-schools (though my
> friend the former B-school professor, a Kellogg PhD,
> tells me that marketing depts are pretty liberal),
> political science (one of my old dep'ts), etc. . . . .
> and even in philosophy (my other old dep't), we are
> mostly not talking about "left" liberals but
> apolitical centrists. In my experience, anyway. You
> cannot generalize from English and Cult Stud dep'ts.
> jks

John Hoblo guesstimates that phil departments tend to skew left 4/1.

http://examinedlife.typepad.com/johnbelle/2004/02/andrew_stuttafo.html#more

Judging based on my very limited experience at Michigan, that sounds about right. Of the phil professors whose politics I'm aware of, there's a leftist, a liberal, a conservative, and three left-liberals. One of my grad student acquaintances (a neo-con) says that Sklar's the only conservative he knows of.

I don't think I've ever taken a class at Michigan that was taught by a conservative. (I've never taken any classes in business, economics, engineering, or the hard sciences.)

-- Luke