[lbo-talk] Bush expected to announce candidacy any day now

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Thu Feb 19 21:11:34 PST 2004

Doug asks:
>Subtly argued. Very impressive. Love the clever nicknames for the
>parties, >but the real winner is your point, which is....?

That threatening violence against any challenge to the Dumbocratic/Republicon shared political monopoly is a sign of a real political pathology among those Liberals who have been driven into irrational sputtering by the antics of Ubu and his Bushits. I too would welcome the dumping of Ubu by those-who-have-the-power-to-dump. But whoever may be the members of that club, they certainly don't include us or any other ordinary voters. All we can do is to use our remaining liberties toward the creation of a political alternative to them--just as in every past election since 1864. For those of us who find it more comforting to act *as if* this was a real election (and I haven't yet excluded myself from that category) the rational course would be to promote the strongest possible alternative candidacy and then, in late October, organize a one-to-two or three trade-off of (say) Nader votes in close states (say Florida, Missouri, Ohio) for Dumbocrat votes in uncontested states like California, New York, Texas, Indiana, Mississippi, etc.

Shane Mage

"When we read on a printed page the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems mystical, mystifying, even downright silly.

When we read on a computer screen the doctrine of Pythagoras that all things are made of numbers, it seems self-evidently true." (N. Weiner)