[lbo-talk] Re: RIP, Dr. Fraud

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 20 06:08:38 PST 2004

>Carl Remick wrote:
>
>>Allow me to take Yoshie's place in the penalty box as a repeat overposter
>>today and observe that I do not view Freud and Marx as natural allies.
>>AFAIC, the time individuals spend navel-gazing and twiddling with their
>>own psyches is time lost for contemplating the evils of a society that
>>twists people's minds and brings out their most neurotic inclinations.
>>I'm also on record here as saying that I don't think much of anti-anxiety
>>and anti-depressive drugs either -- all of which dull people's awareness
>>that, hey, it's the *system* that's at fault. IMO, psychiatry is
>>fundamentally bourgeoisie self-indulgence.
>
>So people suffering from psychological problems should just tough it out
>and wait for the revo?
>
>Doug

This is where my man R. W. Emerson comes in. I prescribe a hearty dose of self-reliance. On the journey of self-discovery, I don't think you need some kibitzer with a medical degree charging $100/hour to show the way. In fact, I think such practice is self-defeating because it causes you to doubt your own judgment and encourages protracted dependence on the aforesaid MD.

Carl