[lbo-talk] Re: RIP, Dr. Fraud

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Feb 20 09:28:11 PST 2004

Carrol Cox wrote:

> > > Trilling even impressed me in his use
>> >of Freudian concepts. What started me being suspicious was _exactly_
>> >arguments like this: i.e., psychoanalytic arguments were never about a
>> >shared world but about _you_.
>>
>> That's just not true. The "you" - or "me" - is formed by one's
>> personal history, especially early history with one's parents.
>
>What are you talking about. I have said _nothing_ about how a "you" or a
>"Me" is formed;

You said psa is not about a shared world but about _you_. I offered illustrations of how it is about a shared world. You could just admit you were wrong instead of getting all pissy.

> > But
>> those experiences are shaped, as Freud said, by "class and nation"
>> and the demands of civilization. The therapeutic process is the work
>> of a dyad, and the relationship evokes all kinds of other
>> relationships in the lives of both patient and analyst.
>
>No comment. This is simply too general a claim to be debated on a
>maillist.

Huh? I cited Freud's writing and the practice of psychoanalysis, and this is "too general a claim"?

> > As I've said before, psychoanalysis is a lot like lit crit. You take
>> every word, every trope, every association very seriously, and ask
>> why that word, trope, or association at that particular moment? How
>> does that choice resonate with other patterns in a life or a text? In
>> this case, I find it very interesting that people constantly bring up
>> Freud and Marx to dismiss them.
>
>You illustrate my point again. You are not talking about either Freud or
>Marx, you are talking about the "unconscious motives" of those who don't
>bow down to Freud or Marx.

No I was pointing out a frequent trope. I draw conclusions from the compulsion to repeat that you don't like, but the frequency of the trope is hard to argue with.

> > It's like Freud's line about negation - an association
>> with a negative sign in front of it. How else would you read
>> Wordsworth's wondering if Lucy should be dead?
>
>More of the same.

A question about reading a fascinating group of poems is "more of the same"?

Doug