[lbo-talk] Re: RIP, Dr. Fraud

Curtiss Leung curtiss_leung at ibi.com
Fri Feb 20 09:43:26 PST 2004

Carl Remick:

> I'm also on record here as saying that I don't think much of
anti-anxiety and
> anti-depressive drugs either -- all of which dull people's awareness
that,
> hey, it's the *system* that's at fault. IMO, psychiatry is
fundamentally
> bourgeoisie self-indulgence.

As somebody who's pretty darn medicated, I can rouse myself enough to say that's a load of flaming horseshit, and a piece of petty viciousness to boot. I know what I'm like without medication--passive, timid, apathetic, and willing to take blame for situations that aren't my fault.

Others who take AD meds relate similar things to me: it's not that the drugs make them happy or even complacent, but give them sufficient emotional fortitude to care for themselves adequately--and that includes understanding that capitalist society is an infernal machine, and making the efforts to resist it and even beat it back.

Are you saying that me and people like myself should grin and bear it? Or that our political positions and actions aren't authentic? The hell with that; what you wrote was a piece of smug ignorance.

Neither am I saying that my default temperment is purely a matter of my neurochemistry. Maybe under other another social order, I wouldn't need meds. But I don't want to wait for that. And I don't want to rely on the good will of people who think they're the arbitiers of what is or isn't genuine pain.

Curtiss