[lbo-talk] Re: RIP, Dr. Fraud

Christian Gregory christian11 at mindspring.com
Sat Feb 21 04:05:49 PST 2004

> "Soap is the yardstick of civilization." (Tylor Durden, Fight Club)
>
> "Soap is the yardstick of civilization." (Sigmund Freud, Civilization and
> Its Discontents)
>
> That kind of thing?

Yes, but you might want to include the "Soap is Civilization" advertisements from the 1850's.

Another example is toy culture, which, from what I can see, is an expensive and sometimes perverse (understand that how you will) elaboration of the _Three Essays_. I mean, isn't all the creation of and advertising for a gazillion sub-lifestyles all about the erotics of the part-object?

Christian