[lbo-talk] Re: wolf vs paglia vs yale

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sat Feb 21 08:27:57 PST 2004

John Thornton wrote:

>Maybe I'm missing some vital background information on Frank Scott
>but how exactly does one "qualify" to make a judgement concerning
>sexual harassment?

Having had some experience of it, perhaps?

Years ago, I had a chat with a Dominican woman who grew up poor in Brooklyn and had made it to the Harvard Law School. Her tales of what people said to her - "you're here only because of affirmative action" was the mildest form of racial taunting - shocked me. I had no idea, really. While I don't think that one's demographic is the utlimate qualification for commenting on particular issues, when it comes to experiences like that (or of sexual harassment), it matters.

Doug