[lbo-talk] Rwandan massacres not racist?

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Sun Feb 22 10:02:02 PST 2004

The US also had/has a graduated racial scale where Native Americans are concerned. Unlike the "one-drop" for African Americans rule, for "Indians" you were measured and listed as 1/8th or 1/32 or 1/64 of such and such tribe. There was a cut-off point, generally 1/64, after which you were no longer "Indian" but "White". The tribes kept the records themselves but using the US imposed racial standards. I think most tribes no longer keep track fractionally in their registers. If you have one ancestor on a tribal registry you may be included in the registry yourself. I wouldn't take that last part as gospel for all tribes, however it is true for the ones I am familiar with.

John Thornton