[lbo-talk] re: Ted Glick: Eight Questions for Ralph Nader

John Halle john.halle at yale.edu
Sun Feb 22 19:10:14 PST 2004

I seriously doubt whether Nader will answer Glick based on what Glick brings to the table: a New Jersey Senatorial run which accrued, I believe, less than .5% of the vote in a comparatively progressive state. Sorry to be brutal, but politics is brutal and that's the fact of the matter.

I'm sure Ted Glick is a nice guy, but if he is an indication of the best organizing strategy we can hope for, God help us all. (I wish I had saved the Glick for Senate webpage-, a triumph of Zmag production values)

In any case, I don't believe Glick gets what Nader is doing which is to issue an explicit fuck-you to leftists like Glick and, by extension, like us, who have, truth be told, failed miserably over the past 30 years, let's face it. (Sam Smith's "apology" goes over this ground, albeit with his typical joie de vivre-http://prorev.com/apology.htm)

In other words, what Nader's saying is that left politics is much too important to be left to the leftists-whether Greens like me, or Nation liberals like Henwood. While I can't say I find it easy to take, I'm naturally inclined to take seriously someone who's receiving death threats for running for office. You can be sure Glick didn't.

Certainly, that was the logic on which one supported Allende, possibly a good reason to support Nader.

Best,

John