[lbo-talk] the other L word

John Halle john.halle at yale.edu
Mon Feb 23 08:20:23 PST 2004

>By the way, Nader (Princeton '55, Harvard Law '58) running against
>"the liberal intelligentsia" and his supporters on the Yale faculty
>using "the other L word" as an epithet remind me of Bush 41 running
>against Dukakis as a card-carrying member of the ACLU. Is this what
>Moyniahan once called "boob bait for the bubbas"?
>
>Doug

In a word, I would say yes, that's exactly what he is doing. Though I would imagine Nader's contempt for the LI derives from the Chomsky-Vidal side rather than the nativist right. But he is surely aware of the possibilities for forging a coalition of these elements, if not the dangers.

That's a cue to Chip, of course.

Will it succeed? I doubt it, but it would certainly be interesting if it did.

Best,

John

P.S. As for my culinary preferences-that's alas a matter of public record http://old.newhavenadvocate.com/bestof02/staf.html -- -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20040223/16104ddb/attachment.htm>