[lbo-talk] DSA Youth

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Mon Feb 23 10:15:09 PST 2004

Probably. I voted against the incumbency (Clinton-Gore) by voting for Nader in 1996 and 2000. The most effective way of voting against the incumbency this year will probably be voting for a Democrat, even though I'm in "safe" (i.e., probably Democratic) state. But when the presumptive Democratic nominee is being celebrated for killing people, I'm glad Nader's in the race. Kerry could have resisted that war, like the real heroes among his contemporaries, not just swarm aboard the growing and popular anti-war movement at the end.

Chomsky, assuming the nominees to be Kerry and Bush, recently said,

"...there is some difference between them -- I don't think a very great difference, just as there is very little range within the corporate-run political spectrum altogether. But there is some difference, and in a system of tremendous power, small difference can translate into large effects. So those small differences do matter. But the real problem is to dismantle and undermine the entire system of completely illegitimate nomination [sic].

"The people around Bush happen to be an unusually fanatical, extreme, arrogant and incompetent group, and they're very dangerous. But it's a small group, and they barely hold political power. And they're frightening people, including the traditional conservatives, because they're such extreme, radical, nationalist fanatics. And Kerry doesn't come from that background, he leans more towards the normal center. But they're very dangerous. I think that with another four-year mandate, they might do not only severe, but maybe irremediable damage to the world."