[lbo-talk] Re: Ralph

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Feb 23 12:59:33 PST 2004

Kelley:
> maybe they both are the husband?

I thought so, but I did not want to make any assumptions. In my graduate program (Rutgers) there were a fair number of folks doing ethnographies of same sex communities. Although it was not my cup of tea, I learned an interesting thing or two from their reports. One was that homosexual communities were in many ways mirror images of heterosexual communities with wide range of similar behaviors, power relations, gender roles, etc. (ditto for other minorities). Hence I asked instead of assuming.

The question is not merely academic. If same sex marriages were to be legalized, how would the issue of gender roles in such unions be resolved?

Wojtek