[lbo-talk] RE: Sexual harrassment

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Mon Feb 23 17:37:21 PST 2004

Woj writes: "As I understand, sexual harassment and even affairs not involving

harassment are easier to be uncovered in an academic setting than in a regular work environment. The chief reason is that the grieving party takes a much lower risk in the academic setting. It is easier to change the major or even the alma mater than change jobs. Transfer to another department or university may involve, in the worst case scenario, a loss of an academic year. Transfer to another job is often not possible or involves downgrading i.e. a total or partial loss of income - a very serious matter comparing to a semester or two of compulsory vacation."

Except that, based on anecdotal evidence, women don't complain or, if they do, are ignored. I don't know how easy it is to change "majors" or "schools." Most grad students are not rolling in money; admission to a graduate program is not automatic; and finally, isn't that like saying that if my manager is hitting on me, I should change jobs???

I agree that some of the complaints are fraudulent or ill-natured. That happens in general with complaints of rape. But that's not a basis for dismissing the issue or treating all complaints as fasle. I even think that sexual relations between profs/students are basically OK; we are talking about consenting adults after all. But the key word is consenting -- not coerced.

Joanna