[lbo-talk] RE Same sex marriages (was Ralph)

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Mon Feb 23 17:52:13 PST 2004

Chuck Grimes writes:

"Their resolved just the same way. The wife is the one who is always right, period."

It's the anvil and the hammer, and we know how that ends. Period.

But seriously folks, look at your hetero friends: are all their marriages alike? I know tons of marriages in which the female/wife provides the support and/or has a "career" -- in some, the man adopts the wife role; in others, they're more like each a little of both. I have seen infinite permutations in wife/husband female/male roles. I know many lesbian couples, sharing my house with a few of them, and I've seen everything under the sun there too. There really is no formula anymore. And there shouldn't be. A "wife" and a "husband" either consummate the mystery of their mutual passion or else are raising children -- there are no formulas that apply to either of those tasks. Let the labels go.

Joanna