[lbo-talk] McDonalidization

" Chris Doss " nomorebounces at mail.ru
Tue Feb 24 04:47:11 PST 2004

kelley:

McD's must have heard Doug bitching about capitalism's lack of aesthetic appeal. Ran across one of these in the YUP area where my son goes to school now.

McDonald's experiments with a gourmet menu By Maureen Fitzgerald Inquirer Suburban Staff

---

With its granite counters, pendant lighting and classical music, the Marlton Bistro offers a made-to-order menu including grilled vegetable panini, Bucks County Coffee espresso and Hershey's hand-dipped ice cream - along with McDonald's traditional fare.

----

There have been such McDonald's in Moscow for years. They hold corporate parties there. They combine them with walk-in espresso cafes, like in the one on the Arbat. They are nothing like American McDonald's. (The Russian franchise is Canadian-owned, though I don't know if that has anything to do with it.) They are also always incredibly packed.