[lbo-talk] Archers, Attitudes and Power

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Tue Feb 24 06:20:12 PST 2004

http://www.dolebludger.blogspot.com/

Archers, Attitudes and Power

A couple of days ago a Launceston spokesperson(cannot yet find URL to ABC Radio story), Whatshername Archer for the local Tasmanian Chamber of Commerce and Industry made some comments of those unable to gain employment. Apparently it all a matter of attitude, and not experience, or skills.

Employers just want the right sort, I suppose.

Coming from someone with the name Archer this is a bit rich.

In Tasmania the Archer family is an old established family with history going back to a number of land grants in the Longford Cressy area in Northern Tasmanian, backing onto the Western Tiers. They got the grants because they were the "right sort", of a type which were not lower class, or Catholic for example. They got free convict labour thrown in as well. Some families in the area still mentally habituate a faithful retainer and tenant farmer attitude. (This is now dying out as the younger ones of these convict trash descendants go to Uni but they can form the bulk of the membership of the Forest/Timber Communities Association (think illiterate logging families who like to owe big loans on trucks and stuff) in certain areas. Now while Tasmanian landed gentry have as much political power in the modern economy as a disposessed Aboriginal Elder, they certain are able to get by a lot better. (Except the Aborignal Elder doesn't have to pay the upkeep on big old Georgian mansions built by convicts.)

This whatshername Archer does hit on a good point however, and is blatantly honest about it, refreshingly honest, particularly from a representative of lying turdburgers that most bizniz operators really are. Employment (perhaps more so in small places like Tasmania) is more about cultural conflict and political loyalty than efficiency, intelligence, ability, productivity, or intelligence. Employers basically want dumbfucks who can do the job, just, or who can pretend that they have these required attitudes. And no more. Apparently they are hard to find.

As a dolebludger I find it rather comforting that Mr Economy is going to directly suffer as a result of the Bizniz employers' attitudes to the unemployed. No wonder Tasmania has been a pile of shit for so long. Where religion, attitudes and clothes are more important than ability, or even experience in this case (experience is more about membership of the club these days anyway, particularly in a lot of bizniz admin work and networking, no real skill is involved in bizniz really, you just have to be able to put up with the fact you have to pretend to enjoy hanging around a bunch of arseholes, in uncomfortable clothes.)

I suppose I am a bit harsh on Mr Economy. The efficient market hypothesis does not promise an absolutely efficient market. It just promises a more efficient economy compared to a non-market or command economy. Now that the command economy is gone pretty much, we can drop the pretense to improving productivity and drop back into the old world style of established privilege and power. No wonder now that the Cold War is over, members of the landed gentry are able to land jobs representing BiznizÂ- on attitude alone.

Breeding will make a come back soon too.

Here comes the New oligarchy, and its the old one back after slumming it a bit. I suppose the Work-For-the-Dole programmes have given a real sense of nostalgia to these owners of convict built homes.

Meika

http://www.loofs-samorzewski.com/loofssamorzewski_contact.html