[lbo-talk] Rwandan massacres not racist?

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Tue Feb 24 07:38:23 PST 2004

From: kelley at pulpculture.org

I think that, just because racism carried with it a biological component at one point, it doesn't necessarily follow that racism still operates the same way. Maybe we should call it something else, as Grant suggests. But, the one thing it's useful for, it seems to me, is that it is about identifying _racializing processes_(it's a process, not a product! :). Racializing processes are about marking bodies and we can understand that marking as being very far removed from the actual appearance of those bodies.

^^^^ CB: Would you say this is like what Mary W-Shelley was dealing with in her story about Frankenstein and the body he created ?

^^^^^

slip sliding along the signifying chain.....

oh, and angela had some interesting things to say about racialization a few years ago. wondering what you think: http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/1999/1999-May/008352.html

http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/1999/1999-May/009439.html

I rejected what Ange was saying at first, but the more I've thought about it and read further, the more it seems a better direction for dealing with these issues.

Kelley

^^^^^ We should get Ange back on the list.

Charles