[lbo-talk] Over to You, Andy Sullivan

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 24 10:58:29 PST 2004

Mike Larkin posted -

"Bush to Back Gay Marriage Ban Amendment"

http://tinyurl.com/3ghea

==================

Yes, predictably, this is sending Sullivan, a once rabid supporter of nearly all things Bush, into gyrations of discomfort:

from - http://www.andrewsullivan.com/

WAR IS DECLARED: The president launched a war today against the civil rights of gay citizens and their families. And just as importantly, he launched a war to defile the most sacred document in the land. Rather than allow the contentious and difficult issue of equal marriage rights to be fought over in the states, rather than let politics and the law take their course, rather than keep the Constitution out of the culture wars, this president wants to drag the very founding document into his re-election campaign. He is proposing to remove civil rights from one group of American citizens - and do so in the Constitution itself.

[...]

His defection is becoming common amongst once loyal 'warrior liberals'.

For example...

Yesterday, while driving to work, I tuned the radio to the Howard Stern show. Throughout the post 11 of September period Stern has loudly backed whatvever violent actions the Bush admin has proposed and carried out. Yesterday though, he had an epiphany: apparently the FCC's new moralist zeal has created unprecedented problems for Mr. Stern. Pressure is being applied, Stern's insulated life has been complicated by exposure to the Bush shockwave. Suddenly, Dubya is no longer a mighty hero, leader of civilized peoples against the Jihadist hordes; no, he's just a "religous nut." Now, Al Franken's book, "Lying Liars..." has become sacred text to the once Bushevik loyal Stern.

There are other prominent examples, including Paul Berman and, if I'm reading the subtly re-aligning leanings of their Sunday showcase program correctly, Fox News.

Apparently, a certain type of person is completely incapable of empathy (or even a sober consideration of facts) until they're personally attacked or disappointed. Then the 'enemy of my enemy...'

I consider this to be a sign of degeneracy.

DRM