[lbo-talk] Re: gentrification

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Feb 24 11:43:01 PST 2004

Michael Catolico wrote:

> well i don't know about Baltimore but in Chicago the increased tax base
> has disproportionately remained in the gentrified neighborhoods. for
> instance, on the north side of the city where much of the gentrification
> has occurred, residents have seen the construction of two new college
> prep high schools (within 5 years already among the top programs in the
> city) enormous sums of cash dumped into infrastructure improvement
> (better park services, street beautification projects, etc.) plus a
> preponderance of recreational and entertainment sponsorships of summer
> fairs, musical performances, etc.

The gentrification in Washington, DC--which grows like a cancer--is now predicated on attracting suburban Yuppies into the city to help add more tax money to city coffers. Mayor Tony "the rat" Williams has held several events designed to kick off his program to attract wealthy white into moving into the city. If anything, Washington, DC is undergoing a rapid Third Worldization of the city, with the rich and middle class moving inside the beltway and the poor being forced out into the exurbs. I wouldn't be surprised if D.C. in ten years has shantytowns outside the Beltway and blighted poor suburbs.

Chuck0