[lbo-talk] Wolf and Bloom

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Feb 24 16:18:12 PST 2004

<heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>But no, Roiphe and Paglia's credentials have been rejected by the
>feminist credential committee: Doug and Paul!

James, Roiphe personally described herself to me as "anti-feminist." Most feminists would agree, but that's beside the point, since she offered the label. When I asked her why, she answered that they were humorless and anti-sex (this is almost a direct quote). When I asked her who represented that kind of feminism to her, she said Gloria Steinem - who, whatever you think of her, is neither humorless nor anti-sex. When I said that Steinem was neither, but that she had a suspicious history with the CIA that disturbed me, she said she'd never heard that before. I concluded from that that she didn't really know much about feminism; maybe I was jumping to conclusions.

Doug