[lbo-talk] Wolf and Bloom

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 24 18:05:58 PST 2004

Doug writes:

> When I said that Steinem was neither, but that she
> had a suspicious history with the CIA that disturbed
> me

Yes -- it's important to note that Steinem actually knew about the National Student Association's connections with the CIA (most students didn't), and she actively handled the CIA money that sent US students to the World Youth Festival. The exposure of NSA's CIA connections caused a shitstorm when they were revealed, although NSA subsequently turned left. Its successor these days, the US Students Association, sends people to the World Youth Festival with enthusiasm -- and without CIA money.

On Roiphe, the Canadian journalist who classified her as a "well-known feminist" should herself be reclassified as a "well-known idiot." On Camille Paglia, the less said the better. I wish she would disappear.

Not that I'm a Naomi Wolf fan; her cloying Zionism is just appalling. I remember when she criticized the PATRIOT Act . . . by saying that the US should emulate Israel's respect for civil liberties (?!). And when she talked about the dulling real-life sexual side-effects of pornography by contrasting supposedly "pornographized" US sexual life unfavorably with the demure sexual habits of a friend of hers who had turned ultra-orthodox and was living in a fortified settlement with her husband. Yuck.

- - - - - John Lacny

People of the US, unite and defeat the Bush regime and all its running dogs!