[lbo-talk] US violence (was White trash)

John Thornton jthorn65 at mchsi.com
Tue Feb 24 19:05:10 PST 2004

>I then had a chance to see that phenomenon in other aspect of
>the US life - such as internet "debating" where you can tell whether the
>writer is a US-ers by the meanness and asinine nature of the postings,
>SUV buying, and yes, hip hop and punk music.
>
>US is a very alienated and alienating society, hence its infatuation
>with displays of aggression and violence. But it does not mean it is
>not present in other societies - just that the US seems to have more of
>it.
>
>Wojtek

Although people from New York, Detroit, or Cleveland should and might argue otherwise I thought punk was considered to have UK origins? What on earth makes you think US citizens have a greater infatuation with violence than people in other societies? The US is not exactly the most violent place on earth.

John Thornton