[lbo-talk] fearful sprites (was: boombox agression and angels ought to butch up)

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Feb 25 14:11:47 PST 2004

Kelley:
> I'd have to agree with Tricia Rose's analysis of hip hop style. She
argued
> in _Black Noise_ that the rise of hip hop was about taking over public
> space in urban areas (and now rural and suburban areas) where public
spaces
> were increasingly regulated. Park jams, for instance, were about
taking
> over public parks in defiance of laws regulating how people were
allowed to
> use public spaces. And decades later, I wish we had a bigger movement
> fight the way the Ghouliani's of the world have come to regulate
public
> spaces even more tightly.

WS: A decade or so earlier, however, feminist research papers were full of talk about male aggression toward women that consisted of, inter alia - taking over physical space, interrupting, assertive statements, (women tend to ask), violating women's boundaries, etc.

Autres temps, autres moeurs. Evidently, it is difficult to keep rational and analytic cool when one's own fetishes come under attack.

Wojtek