[lbo-talk] Getting Our Money's Worth (Left Behind: Nader numbers)

John Lacny jlacny at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 25 21:42:43 PST 2004

Yoshie writes:

> "Organized labor gave $85 million to the Democrats
> during the 2000 election cycle, but the Democrats still
> lost the White House and, even with another $90
> million of labor money in 2002, are the minority party
> on Capitol Hill

For fuck's sake, does Yoshie ever actually read what people write?

I was not advocating giving money to "the Democrats" willy-nilly. I have been talking about the 527s, which are independent, issue-oriented groups that operate on their own, apart from the regular Democratic Party. Progressive groups giving "soft money" to the political parties is in fact severely restricted because of McCain-Feingold. The fact that the DNC and Terry McAuliffe have been spectacularly unsuccessful is no great revelation, although it's not true that the Democratic candidate "lost the White House" in 2000.

But in any case, even Yoshie admits that the Green Party is not going to make any headway this year (she won't admit that the Green Party will never make headway, although that is also true, but beside the point). Therefore the people's best and only chance for defeating Bush and thereby saving Medicaid, Medicare, and Social Security from certain death at his hands, is to support whoever has the best chance of defeating him. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that this will be the Democratic candidate, and that the same logic applies in many Congressional races. I don't need Yoshie to tell me that progressives may have to carry a lot of these elections for the Democrats in spite of the Democrats themselves -- though if that happens, my message to Yoshie will be, "No thanks to you."

- - - - - John Lacny

People of the US, unite and defeat the Bush regime and all its running dogs!